Headed by the Director of Engineering Services
Engineering Services department guides and promotes a sustainable Urban Environment that fosters economic and social development, provides a total quality service and infrastructure to the community through sound Municipal Engineering, Urban Planning and Administrative Excellence.
- Provides technical services to the local authority e.g. project development
- Prepares all planning issue/matter for the town in line with Regional, Town and Country Planning Act.
- Controls and monitors development within the town’s boundaries in line with model building by-laws.
- Spearheads the provision of land development infrastructural services such water, sewerage, storm drainage and road network and public lighting.
- Liases with other stakeholder on infrastructural development with Municipal boundaries e.g. ZESA, TELONE, Department of Physical Planning.
- Gives support to other sister department within Council structures.
- Management of Civil Contracts
- Preparation of civil tender documents
- Town Planning and Development Control
- Transport and workshop section
- Electrical and Mechanical
- Roads and Storm drainage
- Civil works and Building
Water and Sewerage
- Treat raw water to specified quality to meet the WHO standards.
- Maintenances of both sewer and water retic system.
- Collection of sewage effluent to sewage works for treatment
- Carrying out water and sewer connections
- Monitoring and controlling of quality of water supplies and sewage effluent.
- Daily operations of distribution of water to all consumers.
- Unchocking of sewer blockages
- Water and sewer retic mains extension and upgrading.
4. Transport and Workshop Section
- Maintenance of all council fleet, plant and equipment.
- Management of council fleet vehicles.
- In change of daily operations of council vehicles and plant.
- Fair distribution of transport to other Departments
5. Roads and Storm Drainage and Civil Works Sections
- Maintenance of road network system.
- Maintenance of storm drains
- Maintenance of all road signs
- Maintenance of buildings
- Carrying out carpentry works on council building structures
- In charge of refuse collection and solid waste management.
6. Town Planning and Development Control
- Administers of all local development plans line with the Regional, Town and Country Planning Act.
- Creation of master plan
- Production of layout for stands
- Subdivision and consolidation of stands where necessary.
- Handling of special consent
- Controls and monitors development
- Issues enforcement and prohibition orders in line with the act.
- Custodian of all developmental local plans
7. Electrical and Mechanical Sections
- Maintenance of pumps and motors at all water and sewerage stations
- Monitor daily operations of pumps and motors
- Maintenance of street lighting
- Carrying out repairs on all mechanical and electrical installations within Council.
- Administration duties
- Workshops administration
- Customer care duties
- Mail handling
- Reception duties